Cook1 hr 30 mins
I have become a real fan of pearl barley over the last year or so of trying move to a healthier way of eating. Now and then I play around to see if I can do something new with it because I really think it is an underused food item. Particularly as it low fat and the sort of slow burning carb that is great for those of us trying to control our insulin. For this recipe I used a mild chili powder because but I am a spice wimp. So, if your family likes things hotter go for a medium or even a hot strength chili powder.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced medium thickness
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 5 cups vegetable juice (V8 Brand)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fat free sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Use an oven proof dish casserole or pot that can also be used on the stovetop and put over a medium heat on the stove.
- Once the pot is hot spray with some non-stick cooking spray or use a bit of oil if you wish and put the onions in and fry off for about 5 minutes until they are going soft.
- Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the pearl barley and the pinto beans and stir through for 2 minutes.
- Add the V8, garlic powder and chili powder and stir to make sure everything is well combined.
- Cover and put into the oven and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Keep checking it now and then to make sure it isn't going dry. It is done when the barley is tender and most of the juices are absorbed.
- Take out of the oven and dish out onto serving plates or bowls and then divide the cheese between the dishes and sprinkle on top.