Low Fat Taco Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 cup ortega thick and smooth taco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can chilies, drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I prefer Ortega)
- 12 hard taco shells (broken, divided in half)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1/2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1/2 cup fat free sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1 1 cup fat free monterey jack cheese (I prefer Kraft) or 1 cup colby mix cheese (I prefer Kraft)
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion (for garnish) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon low-fat sour cream (optional) or 1 teaspoon fat free sour cream (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced or diced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup orange bell pepper (for color) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Brown turkey and chopped onion in frying pan.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Add water, taco sauce, taco seasoning,and chiles. Stir.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- In greased baking dish, layer half of the taco shells in the bottom.
- Layer half of the meat on top of shells.
- Sprinkle the mild and sharp cheddar cheese over meat layer.
- Layer remainder of taco shells over the cheese.
- Layer remainder of meat on top of shells.
- Sprinkle Monterey/Colby mix on top.
- Arrange tomatoes, green onions, and orange pepper on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve with jalapenos and sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello all! I am 27, married, and from Michigan. I am always in search of yummy low fat, low cholesterol, and diabetic recipes. Ofcourse, I like the extra yummy dishes to. My favorite cookbook is January 2003 Betty Crocker crock pot recipes. Mmmmm there are some good ones in there. I will post some soon.