Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
A knock off from our favourtie Vietnamese restaurant. I soak the vegetables in a salt water brine to keep them from getting mushy, but this step is not necessary. Yield time includes soaking time. This soup is really quick and easy.
- 4 tablespoons tom yum paste (available at Asian grocers)
- 2 large firm tomatoes (cut into large chunks)
- 20 mushrooms (cut into large chunks)
- 15 small green round eggplants (chinese style, cut into quarters)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1 (4 ounce) envelope Knorr vegetable soup mix (or any other stock)
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons red chili paste (also available at Asian grocers)
- soak eggplants, mushrooms and tomatoes in a salt water brine for 1/2 hour.
- boil water with soup mix (or broth).
- stir in Tom Yum Paste
- stir in vegetables (drained from water) and shrimp.
- Bring back to boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
- add cilantro red chili paste to season and serve.