Tom Yum Soup
photo by Tea Girl
- Ready In:
- Wash mushrooms and set aside.
- Crush lemongrass with back of knife to release flavor. Tie in a knot and drop into pot of water.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add mushrooms.
- Pull kaffir lime leaves from their stems and place in water. If using lime zest instead, add it.
- Turn off heat on stove.
- Crush chili peppers and place into a serving bowl. This will make the dish very spicy. If you don't want as much heat, don't crush the peppers, or only crush one. (If you prefer, omit the peppers entirely and use bottled chili sauce).
- Add fish sauce and juice from limes into bowl.
- Pour lemongrass broth into serving bowl.
- Taste, adjust fish sauce and lime if needed.
- Serve, sprinkled with cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I liked the recipe, but I did change some things around. I put in the lime zest with the lemongrass and boiled it for 5 minutes. After that I removed the zest and lemongrass from the broth so I didn't have to separate them from the mushrooms. Then I put the mushrooms in for a minute and served it. I have seen at the Thai place I go to has a version with shrimp as well as this one with mushrooms only, and I think next time I make it I will put in the shrimp with the fish sauce and lime to make the soup more filling. Thanks for sharing! Made of My 3 Chefs.