Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This stir-fry is great served in lettuce wraps (2 lettuce leaves per person) but can also be served over rice. It's adapted from a Cooking Light magazine recipe.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 Thai chiles, minced (can substitute serrano chiles)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 lime wedges
- 8 lettuce leaves, for wrapping (or rice, if preferred)
- Heat a large wok or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add shallots and sauté 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and sauté 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Remove shallot mixture from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to wok or pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken and cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well. Return chicken to wok or pan over medium heat. Add chiles and cook 1 minute. Add shallot mixture to pan. Stir in fish sauce and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove pan from heat; stir in basil and juice.
- If using the lettuce leaves, place about 1/3 cup of the mixture in each lettuce wrap. Serve with lime wedges.