Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was created by Chef David Wilson at the Peat Inn in Cupar, Fife.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs aberdeen angus extra lean beef, minced (ground)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for frying)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded,skin removed,chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces hearty beef stock
- salt and pepper
- Put oil in a skillet and heat.
- Add onions, garlic and mixed herbs.
- Sauté until onions are soft without browning.
- Transfer to large bowl and allow to cool.
- Add tomato sauce, breadcrumbs and beef stock to the cooked mixture.
- Stir together.
- Break up the ground beef and add to mixture.
- Season to taste and mix together gently.
- Pack this mixture into a 11 x 5 x 3 loaf tin (or 2 7 x 3 x 2 tins) and bake in a preheated oven (gas mark 4, 180C, 350F) for 50- 60 minutes.
- Remove carefully from oven.
- Pour off any excess fat and let the loaf (loaves) cool for about 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with crisp green salad, spicy tomato salsa and crusty bread.
- Can also be served cold.