Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A more flavourful version of a traditional recipe. Based on: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3198/spicy-roasted-parsnip-soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, plus extra to garnish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 675 g parsnips, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1⁄4 liters vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- In a bowl, mix together the oil and spices.
- Add the vegetables and mix well. Spread over a heavy baking sheet, then roast for 30 mins until tender.
- Spoon into a food processor or liquidiser with half the stock and process until smooth.
- Pour into a pan with the remaining stock, season, then heat until barely simmering.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Garnish with cumin seeds.