Fibre packed, vegetarian nutritionally complete meal. I used a mix of yellow and green split peas, instead of green lentils, the kidney beans can be substituted with any other type beans also. Can be reheated in microwave, next day for lunch at work. from the local newspaper through The Canadian Press.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn kernels or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup mild salsa or 1 cup hot salsa
- In a non stick saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, onions and green pepper, cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock, brown rice, lentils, basil and chili powder, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in beans, corn and salsa, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.