1/1 Photo of Spicy "Creamed" Corn (Dairy-Free)
Chef Sara Moulton was inspired by a corn soup thickened with pureed corn. From the local newspaper. This is also vegetarian if you use vegetable broth or water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 -12 ears fresh corn, husked
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or 3/4 cup vegetable broth or 3/4 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 serrano chili, minced (about 1 tbl)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil (or other herbs) or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (or other herbs)
- ground black pepper
- 1Carefully cut the kernels off the ears, sawing down with a serrated knife. You should have about 6 cups kernels. Remove seeds and ribs from chili, if you wish.
- 2In a blender, combine 1 cup of the kernels and 1/2 cup of the broth. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- 3In a large skillet over medium, heat the oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 8 minutes.
- 4Add the remaining corn kernels and another pinch of salt. Saute for 3 minutes.
- 5Add the chili and pureed corn then bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in the remaining broth, the lime juice and basil or cilantro or herbs of your choice. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for another minute.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy "Creamed" Corn (Dairy-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.3
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 116.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 5.6 g