Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chef Sara Moulton was inspired by a corn soup thickened with pureed corn. From the local newspaper. This is also vegetarian if you use vegetable broth or water.
- 10 -12 ears fresh corn, husked
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth or 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 serrano chili, minced (about 1 tbl)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil (or other herbs) or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (or other herbs)
- ground black pepper
- Carefully cut the kernels off the ears, sawing down with a serrated knife. You should have about 6 cups kernels. Remove seeds and ribs from chili, if you wish.
- In a blender, combine 1 cup of the kernels and 1/2 cup of the broth. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat the oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining corn kernels and another pinch of salt. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the chili and pureed corn then bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining broth, the lime juice and basil or cilantro or herbs of your choice. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for another minute.
Delicious! For this recipe I didn't include the lime initially, but then tried it with it after. I think i prefer it without the lime. I used oregano for the herb, and used water instead of the both, it turned out great. I like how the chili is adds a nice kick to the dish.
Give it a try!
We loved the southwest flavors of this creamed corn! We also loved how low fat and healthy it is. I did cut the recipe in half and had plenty for 4, but next time will either used the mini chopped for half recipe or puree a little bit more than 1/2 cup. Did use the cilantro option over basil to stay with the southwest flavor of the lime juice (we loved also wonderful accent) and chili. A perfect summer side that we will enjoy again thanks for the post.