Prep 1 min
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is for the person who likes everything spicy hot!! I learned about this trick from a coworker who is a hot food freak! The spicy oil can be used for a varitiey of foods; different types of oils can be used as well. Peanut oil is the best overall choice, since it withstands higher temperatures.
- 1 habanero (choose size depending on how spicy you want it)
- 29.58-44.37 ml vegetable oil or 29.58-44.37 ml peanut oil
- 118.29 ml popcorn
- Put the vegetable or peanut oil in a pot suitable for popping corn.
- Warm the oil gently and place sliced habanero in the oil (be careful to wash your hands after handling, and don't touch your eyes or nose!) Stir occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Be careful not to heat the oil too much; the smoke from the oil will cause your lungs and eyes to burn.
- Remove the sliced habanero from the oil and discard.
- Pop your popcorn like you normally would in the spicy oil.
- Add your favorite popcorn condiments, such as melted butter, salt, cheese flavoring, or my favorite, butter flavored sprinkles, and enjoy!
Makes you go:why didn't I think if this! I used a small red chili pepper and I loved it! I added some paprika and garlic powder to it, no butter. Thanks for posting!
This was AWEOME!! Makes me wonder why I never thought of this! LOL. I used 2 habaneros and boy was the popcorn ever spicy! Both of my kids thought it was awesome too. My DH wouldn't touch it tho. He' not a big fan of habaneros. But that's another story. More for us! I added parmesan cheese to ours. This has so much flavor, it doesn't need much butter, if any at all. Thanks for sharing. :)