Mom's Spicy Hot Dog Sauce (Crock Pot)
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs ground beef, browned
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in your crock pot.
- Allow to cook at least 8 hours on low (in the older Crockpots -- the newer ones sometimes seem to cook too high). I usually cook mine overnight, then even allow it to cook part of the day before turning it to warm.
- ***It can also be cooked on the stove, if you need it to get done sooner. In this case, you may want to leave the water out.
- Enjoy on hot dogs (or "saucedogs" for my daughter who doesn't like hotdogs, and only eats sauce on a bun LOL) or use as a sloppy joe filling!
- I'm not sure about the serving amount below.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sweet and spicy, I didn't have time to use the crock pot and just simmered this in my cast iron pan for 2 hours or so until it was supper time. I only added about 1 cup of water since I was short on cooking time. Next time when I have more cooking time to use the crock pot, I might leave out the brown sugar since the tomato juice and ketchup have alot of sugar in it already. Made this for Spring Pick A Chef 09. Thanks for help with supper!