A wonderfully full-flavored cookie that is covered in sugar. I usually chill overnight and the dough does not get rock hard. I use tablespoonfuls of dough and get about 28 or 29 cookies.
- Mix together shortening, brown sugar, egg and molasses.
- In separate bowl, stir together remaining dry ingredients except white sugar. Then mix dry ingredients into shortening mixture.
- Chill dough 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough into balls the size of large walnuts and dip tops in sugar. Place on lightly greased baking sheet about 3 inches apart, sugared side up.
- Bake in a 375º oven about 10 to 12 minutes until just set but not hard.
- Cool on wire rack.
Look no further! This is the BEST molasses cookie recipe. I read every recipe to find the one that I have been making for years, and the only difference between Lvs2Cook's and mine is that my great grandmother baked hers at 400 degrees. Also none of the women in my family ever chilled the dough overnight but I'll give it a try. This always gets LOTS OF COMPLIMENTS!