Prep 8 hrs
Cook 7 hrs
Crockpot recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 1 cup bottled thick & chunky salsa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 fresh green chili peppers, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- fresh cilantro
- sliced fresh jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Trim fat from pork. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Top with salsa. Seal bag; turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- Lightly grease an oval 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with oil. Place onion in cooker. Add pork and marinade mixture, potatoes, green chile peppers, and garlic. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Using the bottom of a ladle or serving spoon, make 6 indentations in the top of the mixture. Crack an egg into each indentation. If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Cover; cook 15 minutes more or until egg whites are set and yolks are thickened. Top with cheese, cilantro, and, if desired, jalapeno slices. Makes 6 servings.