Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I've been on a sloppy joe kick lately. This lentil sloppy joe is easy to throw together, has a flavorful, firm texture, and is packed full of protein. It's also good to smother a baked potato, it's so good! Today I improvised a little and threw in cooked brown rice and some crushed walnuts. Feel free to experiment! From Naturally Ella.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, minced (or green)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, strained (to remove excess liquid)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce (like Annie's or use regular Worcestershire sauce if desired)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil
- In a large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add minced onions, pepper, and garlic. Cook until onions and peppers are soft and fragrant, 6-8 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook until lentils are tender but not breaking down, 25-30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings while cooking.
- Serve on a bun or toasted bread.