Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a healthy but hearty recipe adapted from thefoodcoach.com.au. Serve with some steamed greens.
- 500 g ground lamb
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sear the lamb in a large pan with no added oil until brown. Place in a colander and drain off any fat. Return to pan and add the onion and garlic and cook for 6 minutes.
- While the lamb is cooking, brush the eggplant with oil and grill for about 3 - 4 minutes each side. Add the herbs, spices, tomato paste and vegetable stock to the lamb mixture and simmer until most of the liquid has absorbed.
- Add the zucchini and chickpeas and remove from the heat and season with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon a layer of the lamb mixture into an oven proof dish, followed by a layer of eggplant. Make another two layers with the remaining lamb and eggplant.
- Set aside while you make the topping.
- Combine the oats, parmesan, thyme and oil in a food processor and process until well combined. Season and spoon the mixture over the top.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 - 35 minutes until the top is brown and crunchy.
Very enjoyable - I added chili and served with noodles - versatile and easy so thanks - made for PAC 08