Snack, brunch, breakfast, dinner, potluck or party fare. This one covers it all.
Make and share this Spicy Italian Sausage Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 9 inches refrigerated pie crusts or 9 inches frozen pie crusts
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese or 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Place crust in 9-inch pie pan. Prick bottom of crust with fork. Line crust with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven; remove foil. Return to oven until crust is golden brown, about 7 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Heat large saute pan over medium heat. Add sausage, crumbling well. Cook through.
- Add peppers, onions, herbs and pepper; cook until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Spoon sausage mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle with Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses.
- Whisk eggs and milk in bowl. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake until egg mixture is set, puffed and golden, about 25-30 minutes. Cool before slicing.