Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Snack, brunch, breakfast, dinner, potluck or party fare. This one covers it all.
Make and share this Spicy Italian Sausage Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 9 inches refrigerated pie crusts or 9 inches frozen pie crusts
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese or 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Place crust in 9-inch pie pan. Prick bottom of crust with fork. Line crust with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven; remove foil. Return to oven until crust is golden brown, about 7 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Heat large saute pan over medium heat. Add sausage, crumbling well. Cook through.
- Add peppers, onions, herbs and pepper; cook until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Spoon sausage mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle with Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses.
- Whisk eggs and milk in bowl. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake until egg mixture is set, puffed and golden, about 25-30 minutes. Cool before slicing.
This was awesome!! Definitely making again. I think I'll had some banana peppers next time.
Gailann this dish is a winner, hands down. Perfect comfort food; spicy sausage, peppers and onions smoothered in cheese than covered with eggs. What a great meal it was. I really enjoyed the textures in the dish, the light fluffy eggs, the ooey gooey cheese and the spicy spicy sausage. Quick and easy to make, it was the perfect dinner with a simple salad and some cucumbers and sliced bananas. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for Pac - Fall - 2011.