Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The very best dish for sharing. Unexpected friends on the doorstep? Football on TV? It’ll take a matter of minutes to get a tray of wings in the oven. Serve with my quick chutney or stir some chopped red onion into a pot of yoghurt for an even quicker dip. The chutney also does very nicely in a Cheddar-cheese sandwich. from The Best BBC show
- 12 large chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons plain white flour
- 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 large mango
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 star anise
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Using a strong pair of scissors, snip the tip off each wing.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, Cajun seasoning, paprika and salt. Toss the wings in the seasoned flour and arrange on a wire rack. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25 - 30 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- To make the chutney, holding the mango firmly on a board, slice down either side of the central stone to remove the ‘cheeks’. Using a large spoon, scoop out the flesh and discard the skin. Roughly dice the flesh and remove and dice any flesh still clinging to the stone.
- Place in a pan with the shallot, vinegar, sugar, salt and spices. Cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Spoon into a serving bowl and serve with the chicken wings.