Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'Salmon' by Diane Morgan
Make and share this Spicy Corn Stew With Chunks of Salmon recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 2 large sweet onions (such as Walla Walla, Vidalia, or Maui)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large poblano chile, seeded, deribbed, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) salmon fillets, skin and pin bones removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Working with one ear of corn at a time, stand it upright, stem end down, in a large bowl.
- Using a sharp knife, cut downward along the cob, remove the kernels and rotating the cob a quarter turn after each cut; reserve the cobs; set kernels aside.
- Cut one of the onions into thin slices and set aside; cut the other onion into 1/2-inch dice and set aside.
- In a heavy soup pot, heat the vegetable oil over med-high heat and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add the sliced onion and saute, stirring often, until soft and just beginning to brown at the edges, 10 minutes.
- Add the reserved corncobs and the water; bring to a boil, decrease heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot, and cook until reduced to 4 cups, about 30 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the cobs from the pot and discard.
- Pour the corn broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl, or preferably, a 4-cup glass measure.
- Press down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible (you should have 4 cups of strained broth); clean the soup pot.
- Return the soup pot to medium heat, add the olive oil; swirl to coat bottom of pan.
- Add the diced onion, celery, poblano chile, and thyme; saute vegetables until soft but not brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the reserved corn kernels, strained broth, cream, salt, and cayenne.
- Bring to a simmer and cook just until the corn is crisp-tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the salmon and cook at a bare simmer just until the salmon is cooked through, 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning; divide among heated deep bowls, garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve immediately; pass the lime wedges and squeeze a little lime juice into the soup.
- *Suggested wine--Spanish albarino or Portuguese alvarinho.