Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
There are few new recipe discoveries that are as big a hit as this one was when I served it the first time. If you like coleslaw and spicy food, this is the recipe for you to try. You can always adjust the spiciness to your own taste by adding more or less chile paste. The recipe is inspired by a Perla Meyers recipe which was posted in the Houston Chronicle. Whether you like the cabbage and carrots sliced, shredded, or finely minced - it makes no difference. You can purchase pre-sliced or shredded cabbage if you prefer. The prep time does not include slicing or chopping the vegetables, or the chill time.
- 8 cups grated cabbage (or sliced - your preference)
- 2 cups shredded carrots (or sliced - your choice)
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss to combine and evenly distribute all ingredients.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours, or best overnight.
We just loved this coleslaw. We will certainly make again.
Absolutely delicious -- loved this slaw. The dressing is wonderful and just spicy enough for us. Will be making this slaw again very soon.
Loved this! It would be nice addition to any summer BBQ. I used green cabbage, but it was still colorful with the carrots, parsley, purple onion, and the pink dressing. I don't know if my lemon was extra juicy or my cabbage tart, but I did add a bit of sugar after tasting the slaw. I didn't find this overwhelmingly "hot" either. It was spicy, but nicely balanced. Thank you for sharing a recipe I will be making again! Made for Fall 08 Pick A Chef.