Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from "A Hundred Years of Island Cooking", an old cookbook from the Hawaiian Electric Company. This method of dunking the wings in sauce AFTER cooking sounds a little unconventional, but it works great.
- 4 lbs chicken drummettes
- 1 cup flour
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 hot red pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce (mild is best)
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Thaw chicken; drain well. Dredge in flour.
- Heat oil to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Fry chicken in hot oil until golden brown; drain. Immediately dip into soy sauce mixture; remove and drain.