Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a vegan/vegetarian recipe and is great at Barbecues. You don't have to use Kidney beans, Borlotti or Cannelini are also really good in this, you can also add carrots if you wish, but these take longer to cook. I have questimated the amount of chilli sauce, you need to aim to have enough liquid in the mix to coat the rice, you can always add more if need be.
- 1 (400 g) can red kidney beans
- 1 (150 g) can sweetcorn
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 chili pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 300 g brown rice
- Put rice on to boil.
- Chop up the onion and the two peppers and fry until soft in a little oil.
- Add the crushed garlic and the chopped chillies and fry for two minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and sweetcorn and continue to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Pour in the soy and sweet chilli sauces and cook until fully heated through, then set aside.
- Drain the cooked rice and leave both this and the bean mixture to cool a bit.
- Mix together and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot or cold.