A cold rice salad that is an excellent companion dish in the summer. It is also a convenient make ahead dish to stream line meal prep for large gatherings. Feel free to play with the herbs used in the salad. Just remember that the herb that is added while the rice is still hot will be the dominant flavor.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (white is very nice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet onions or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- Cook rice. While still hot mix with olive oil, vinegars, salt, pepper, and tarragon.
- Let stand to cool for at least an hour. Add remaining ingredients.
- To increase protein in this dish, garnish with crumbled hard boiled egg.