Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A cold rice salad that is an excellent companion dish in the summer. It is also a convenient make ahead dish to stream line meal prep for large gatherings. Feel free to play with the herbs used in the salad. Just remember that the herb that is added while the rice is still hot will be the dominant flavor.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (white is very nice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet onions or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- Cook rice. While still hot mix with olive oil, vinegars, salt, pepper, and tarragon.
- Let stand to cool for at least an hour. Add remaining ingredients.
- To increase protein in this dish, garnish with crumbled hard boiled egg.
This is a wonderful, refreshing dish! I doubled the dressing and used a lot of vegetables (also added celery) because I like lots of crunch. I didn't have the parsley or the chives, so had to leave out, and used finely chopped red onion. Mz. Cat, thanks for a great recipe! I look forward to making it again!
I loved this salad. Very good combination of herb flavours, and just the right amount of dressing to flavour the rice without drowning it or making it soggy. I would call it "herby" rather than "spicy", though. This salad would be fabulous with crumbled feta cheese. Reviewed for Pick A Chef, Fall 2007.