Recipe by PamLuvs2Cook
This is a simple but yummy side dish. I got it from Paula's Home Cooking "Southern Traditions" show. If you omit the bacon you can make this a vegetarian dish and serve it with rice.
Top Review by True Texas
I sent this to my sister to make up for us for New Years Day we always have our black-eyed peas every new year and this year we especially wanted to make sure we had plenty of them for luck. Very, very good.
- 4 slices bacon (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black-eyed peas, washed
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon, crumble, and set aside to use as a topping for the peas.
- Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until tender. Add the peas, diced tomatoes w/ green chiles, salt, chili powder, pepper and water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the peas are tender. Watch your peas closely and add additional water, if necessary. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon.