Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Serve with a tossed green salad and you have yourself a complete and healthy meal. (Can also be served as side dishes). From 101 Meatless Family Recipes. Vegan, too!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 white onion, chopped small
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced finely
- 3 cups cooked black beans (freshly cooked or canned beans that have been rinsed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder (I usually add 1 teaspoon)
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh vegetable stock or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric (closer to 1 teaspoon for me)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt, to taste
- In a soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté 2 garlic cloves and the jalapeño pepper for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add the beans, chili powder, cumin, 1/2 cup stock and cook, uncovered for approximately 25-30 minutes, increasing heat to low-medium. Add the bell pepper last 5 minutes of cooking. Season to taste with salt.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan and sauté the 2 garlic cloves on low heat for about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of stock, bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, reduce heat and cook 17 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, stir in the spices. Season to taste with salt.
- Arrange the black beans on one side of a serving platter. Arrange the rice on the other half.
DH had a bit of difficulty following the recipe; it would help if the ingredients were listed "divided" so if you have a habit of not reading too far ahead (like us), you would know to separate out proportions as you are prepping. The flavor was good. Served with bean burritos. Thanks!
Wonderful! Both sides are quite good individually, but together, they are especially tasty! We really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 40
Made only the black bean part, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Used canned, well rinsed beans, and no jalapeno - preference. Will be keeping this for future meals. Thanks for posting, Cookgirl