1/1 Photo of Spicy Beef Koftas With Chickpea Puree
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From the Food and Cooking of Spain, Africa and the Middle East, posted for ZWT3. The meat is nicely flavored, not too hot. Prep time does not include 1 hour cooling time for meat mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs finely ground beef
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/4 cups dried garbanzo beans (soaked overnight, drained, cooked)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons light tahini paste
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1mix the ground beef with the onion, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, salt, parsley and cilantro.
- 2knead the mixture well, then pound it till smooth in a blender or food processor.
- 3place in a dish, cover and leave to stand in a cool place for 1 hour.
- 4make the chickpea puree:.
- 5preheat the oven to 400. In a blender or food processor, process the chickpeas with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin seeds, tahini and yogurt till well mixed.
- 6season with salt and pepper, tip the puree into an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and heat through in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 7divide the meat mixture into six portions and mold each on to a metal skewer so that the meat resembles a fat sausage.
- 8preheat the grill or broiler on the hottest setting and cook the kebabs for 4-5 minutes on each side. (Don't overcook so it doesn't dry out.).
- 9melt the butter and pour it over the hot chickpea puree. (if puree is too thick, thin with a bit more yogurt and or butter) serve the kebabs with the hot chickpea puree.
- 10serve with salad and bread.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Beef Koftas With Chickpea Puree
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.5
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 70.2 mg
- Sodium 514.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: