Recipe by Lene
My bean burgers are nutritious, easy to make and delicious. If it is a nice day why dont you slap them on the barbie. Make sure that you squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible, otherwise the burgers might break up when they are cooked.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small red chile, hot, finely chopped
- 100 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 400 g cannellini beans
- 50 g white breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a small pan and cook the onion, garlic and the chilli for 5 minutes ubtil softened. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the spinach and place in a large bowl.
- Mash the beans well and mix with the spinach, breadcrumbs, coriander and cumin. Add the fried onion mixture and stir well.
- Season to taste and with slightly wet hands, shape into 4 round burgers and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Grill, or spray with oil and shallow fry for a few minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Serve in burger buns with salad and yogurt mixed with fresf chopped herbs.