Recipe by gailanng
The fresh herbs put this burger over the top. Recipe from A Food Centric Life, Sally Cameron.
- 12 ounces ground turkey (preferably breast and thigh combo or thigh) or 12 ounces chicken (preferably breast and thigh combo or thigh)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, depending on your turkey mix (optional)
- 2 slices ripe tomatoes
- 2 thin slices red onions
- 2 -4 slices avocados
- green lettuce leaves or red leaf lettuce
- 2 hamburger buns (whole-grain, white or white)
ANCHO CHILI SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground dried ancho chile powder, to taste (or chipotle chili powder or chili powder blend)
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- salt and pepper (can add a dash of Sriracha)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey, cumin, garlic, parsley, oregano, chives, salt, pepper and olive oil if you are using ground breast. Mix well but gently with your hands. Form into patties, cover with plastic film and refrigerate.
- While the burger patties are chilling and resting, make and ancho chili sauce and refrigerate until serving. the recipe will make more than you need. Extra is good on a sandwich or as a dip for raw vegetables.
- Fire up the grill (or a grill pan) until hot. Make sure the grill is brushed clean and then coated with a grill-safe spray or a little oil on a wad of paper towels with tongs. Turn heat down to medium, and add your burgers. Grill on one side until browned and grill marks have formed. Turn the burger and finish cooking until they reach 160? - 165? in the center with a digital thermometer. They will feel firm but not hard.
- To build burgers, place lettuce on the bottom of the bun, add the burger and top with tomato, onion, sauce and avocado.