Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found a recipe similar to this in one of Claudia Roden's books and then gave it my own twist. This is a deliciously fragrant dessert, best served with a dollop of very thick cream or the best available icecream! Ras el Hanout is a Moroccan spice mix which I buy from Herbies in Sydney, or you can blend it yourself.
- 2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 8 oranges
- Peel oranges, removing all pith. Slice thickly and arrange in shallow dish.
- Place orange juice, sugar, zest and Ras el Hanout in saucepan and bring to boil stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Boil for about 5-10 minutes to reduce and thicken syrup.
- Remove from heat, add rose water then cool.
- Pour syrup over orange slices.
- Serve cold.