Recipe by Anemone
Quick, one-pot, stove-top recipe. High in fibre, vitamins A and B. If you want to cut out the oil, saute the onion and garlic in a bit of water in the microwave. Also, for extra fibre, don't peel your carrots - just wash them well!
Top Review by Christie in GA
This is one of the better lentil dishes we've had. I used dry lentils instead of canned and added an extra cup liquid (3 1/2)to accomodate for the lentils cooking. For my liquid, I used homemade chicken stock. Next time I will increase the liquid to 4 cups, as the rice could have cooked a little more. I cooked the dish for 45 minutes because my brown rice requires this. The apples were an excellent addition. I cored and peeled them and tossed them in the food processor a second. My 3 and 4 year olds ate it all and asked when we can have this again. I had enough left for another night's meal too!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 carrots
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups stock
- 1 (545 g) can lentils
- 2 apples
- 4 green onions
- 2 cups plain yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up onions, carrots, apples and green onions. Mince garlic.
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add cumin, curry, cinnamon and salt. Let cook another 2 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and rice. Stir for 1 minute, then carefully pour in stock. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
- Remove from heat. Stir in lentils, apples and green onions.
- Garnish with plain yogurt, if desired.