Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This lentil burger recipe is the tastiest veggie burger you'll find. It's fully vegan, and uses carrots and spices to lighten up the lentils. This recipe is easy to make and will work with just about any variation on the spices you prefer. Lentils are one of the fastest-cooking legumes, making them very handy to make quick meals. They are high in fiber, iron and folic acid, and low in fat. They are an excellent protein source for a healthy diet, whether you are a vegetarian or not.
- 236.59 ml lentils (dry measure)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 177.44 ml whole grain flour (approx)
- 0.25 ml sea salt
- 4.92 ml coriander
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 0.25 ml black pepper
- 4.92-9.85 ml olive oil
- Before you begin, the lentils must be fully cooked. Gently boil them in enough water to cover them by 2 inches, with NO salt. Lentils will take about 30 minutes to cook.
- While they cook, dice the onion and grate the carrots.
- Drain the cooked lentils and put them in a bowl with the carrots and onion. Mash them a bit, but not too much, and add enough flour to get them to the point where they will stick together. You may also need to add a bit of water. Season the mix with the spices, salt & pepper and stir them through well.
- With your hands, form the lentil mix into burger shapes. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a heated pan and lay the burgers inches Leave them for about 10 minutes on the first side, flip, and cook another 5-7 minutes. Put the burgers in an oven on low heat to keep them warm while you cook the second batch.
I added an egg for moisture instead of water but otherwise followed the recipe. It's fantastic! Meaty, filling, very flavorful, a GREAT burger.
Loved the combination of texture and flavours, kept to the quantities but cut out the flour and, as I am not a Vegan, substituted 2 beaten eggs and some dried onion to soak up the moisture. Served with dip of natural yoghurt seasoned with ground cumin, cardomon and coriander, salt and pepper.