Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This simple relish is a delicious accompaniment to your poultry, ham, and pork dishes. Tart raw cranberries are seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger, and sweetened with sugar, orange juice and plump dark rasins. The red wine gives this old-time-favorite a sophisticated twist.
- 750 ml red wine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 cups fresh cranberries, washed
- 1 cup dark raisin
- 1 medium green apple, skinned, cored and diced
- 1 orange, juice of, large
- orange zest (from the juiced-orange)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons shallots, diced
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- In a medium non-reactive saucepan, boil wine and add sugar. Allow the sugar to dissolve thoroughly before adding the other ingredients. Once the sugar has dissolved, immediately reduce heat to simmer to prevent mixture from burning.
- Add the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT THE WALNUTS, to the saucepan; cover with lid and let simmer for 10 - 12 minutes. Stir in the toasted walnuts and continue simmering for 5 more minutes, or until the mixture is thick.
- Serve chilled or warm. This relish will keep for several days in the refrigerator, or may be frozen for later use.
- COOK'S TIP: If you want a less-chunkier sauce, simmer for a longer length of time.