Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted by request. Original recipe from "Miss Stela."
Make and share this Spiced Crabapples recipe from Food.com.
- 4 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 (4 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole clove
- 8 cups washed, drained, and pricked once with a fork crabapples
- Combine sugar, water and vinegar in a large stainless or enamel saucpan.
- Break up cinnamon and tie up with allspice and cloves in a large square of cheesecloth and add to pan.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add prepared crabapples and return pan to a boil, reduce heat and boil GENTLY for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove spice bag.
- Pack into clean hot jars to 3/4 inch from rim and add boiling syrup to cover, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Do the jar thing.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
Totally delicious; perfect sweetness and tangyness. Perfect balance of spices!
Changes: 5 c. sugar; only boil with crabapples for a couple of minutes. I only gave this recipe 3 stars because even though I pricked the apples with a fork they were really mushy after boiling 10 minutes. I ended up pulling them out of the brine, discarding them and starting with new apples. I only boiled them a few minutes until they were just barely tender then processed in a boiling water bath.