Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Bon Appetit. Goes well with roasted chicken. Submitting for ZWT9.
- 2 cups hot water
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 medium onions or 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Combine 2 cups hot water and raisins in small bowl. Soak raisins until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain water into large saucepan; reserve raisins. Add 2 tablespoons butter, wine, and saffron to pan; bring to boil. Stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion; cover and cook until translucent and tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Mix onion, reserved raisins, almonds, and cinnamon into couscous. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
I did have to sub some ingredients and used sultanas for raisins, pecans for the almonds and my saffron had disappeared so used some turmeric and scaled back for 2 serves and 3 of us ate up the lot and thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you Chef PotPie, made for Healthy Choices tag game.