Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This couscous is wonderfully aromatic and the whole dish quick to make -- not to mention healthy. I adapted it from one in BBC's Good Food magazine. The chile powder I refer to is simply ground whole chiles, NOT chili powder (which is a blend of spices).
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 broccoli florets
- 60 g green beans, trimmed
- 175 g couscous
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 300 ml hot chicken stock or 300 ml vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 200 g halloumi cheese, cut into 4 to 6 slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by heating your oven to about 350°F Brush the tomatoes with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- A few minutes after the tomatoes go in, place the broccoli and beans in a steamer and steam for about 6 minutes, or until just tender.
- At the same time as you start the broccoli cooking, mix the couscous and spices in a large bowl, pour over the hot stock, cover and leave for 5 minutes.
- Finally, heat up a frying pan or griddle and cook the halloumi for about 2 minutes on both sides until brown.
- Mix the broccoli and beans into the couscous along with the lemon juice.
- Pile onto places and place the tomatoes around the edge of the plate.
- Top with the halloumi, season and serve.
oh WOW! I made this for a dinner party where the main guest was vegie - what a hit. I used cherry tomatos instead of large ones, and added some grilled zucchini too, what a fantastic mix of tastes, I recommend anyone to try it. I did add butter to the cous cous as suggested by another reviewer. By the way, I have since also used the spicy cous cous as a base for other meals too. Yum
Made this last night and it was a complete hit!! Put Butter into the couscous - The flavours went wonderfully together and the colours on the plate were lovely. Shame that we did not make any photos, but it was so yummy that we could not hold back!! Thank you for a great dinner!
A very nice recipe, and plenty quick to make. Next time I would probabaly add a knob of butter to the couscous.