Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From “The Africa Cookbook Tastes of a Continent” by Jessica B. Harris. -Ethiopia
Make and share this Spiced Clarified Butter (Nit’ir Qibe) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 piece cinnamon stick, 1/2-inch long
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 clove
- 1 lb unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- Toast the turmeric, cardamom, fenugreek, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove by placing them in a heavy skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes, or until they are fragrant and roasted.
- Place the butter in a heavy saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring occasionally. Do not let the butter brown. When it is completely melted, bring it to a boil and skim off all the white foam.
- Mix the onion, garlic, and ginger together and add the mixture to the butter, along with the toasted spices.
- Continue to simmer gently over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow it to stand until the spices settle. Then strain the nit’ir qibe into a large container, cover, and store in a cool place.