Niter Kibbeh--Ethiopian Spiced Clarified Butter
photo by Andi Longmeadow Farm
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch gingerroot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 -4 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on the lowest possible heat for about 1 hour.
- Pour the clear golden liquid off the top leaving all the solids in the bottom of the pan. Strain through cheesecloth if necessary. Discard solids.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer and use as needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!