Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe straight from the Pennsylvania Dutch.
- 3 lbs cantaloupes
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Remove the seeds from the cantaloupe, cut off the rind and cut into 1"x2" strips or squares.
- Dissolve the alum in the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the cantaloupe and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, and spices.
- Add the cantaloupe and simmer slowly until the melon is transparent, about 45 minutes.
- Place in hot sterilized jars and seal.