Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Ladies Home Journal. There is another spice cake recipe on Food.com, but I believe this is an easier recipe.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1 tbsp butter (or shortening)
- 1⁄4 cup hot milk plus 1/2 c cold milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- For cake: Heat oven to 350°F Grease two 9" round cake pans and line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, shortening, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl stir together milk, molasses, and eggs. Add to dry ingredients and mix on medium speed about 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 27-30 minutes. Let cool.
- For icing: Combine 1/3 C butter, 1/4 C hot milk, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla, and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Boil together 1 tbsp butter, 1/2 C cold milk, corn syrup and brown sugar until temperature reaches 235F (soft-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Pour over other butter mixture and beat until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. If icing isn't smooth enough, add 1 tbsp hot water.
- Spread 1/4 C on top of bottom cake layer. Top with second layer. Frost sides and top.