This is a very healthy grain salad. I have tried to duplicate the one I buy at the Overwaite deli. It is close but not completely there. Still this is very tasty. You do not want large servings ( apprx 1/2 cup serving) - it is very filling and intended to be served as a side dish. I like to have tomatoes and lettuce along with it or any other green salad.
- 1⁄2 cup spelt
- 1⁄2 cup kamut
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or a bit less)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Bring apprx 4 cups of water to a boil, add the Spelt and Kamut, return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cook covered until the kernals are tender (apprx 45 minutes).
- Drain well and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients,starting with the vinegar, honey & mustard, add the oil slowly whisking all the while, finally whisk in the shallots, ginger & cilantro.
- When the spelt & Kamut are at room temp mix in the cranberries, red pepper & sweet onion.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, mix well, Cover and refrigerate over night.