photo by flower7
- Ready In:
- Pour the quinoa into a fine strainer and rinse it well under cold water.
- In a 2 quart saucepan combine the quinoa and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a wide shallow bowl combine vinegar, apple juice concentrate, allspice, pepper and garlic.
- Add the quinoa and stir occasionally until cooled, around 10 minutes.
- Core the apple and chop it into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Mix the apple, carrot, onion and mint with the quinoa mixture.
- Line a serving platter with the lettuce and mount the quinoa salad on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really liked all of the ingredients that went into this dish but the apple cider vinegar was too over powering. I would have halved the amount that is recommended. I would have added more of the all spice and perhaps some ginger. I will definitely make this again with these changes. It was very quick, easy and light....great for summer!
This was very good ~ I was a bit skeptical at first, but the flavors are excellent. I used red quinoa, and had to use regular apple juice as I had no concentrate. I did add a bit of salt as suggested. I definitely like this well chilled. Thanks DiB's for a great new quinoa recipe. Made for ZAAR COOKBOOK TAG, February 2010!
I have enjoyed this thoroughly. I too reduced the vinegar and it was quite tangy enough- although it did tone down in the refrigerator ater a bit- this "rest" also helped mellow the garlic. I had some jicama that needed to be used, so I slivered it and tossed it in and it was another sweet/crispy addition. Don't forget to add a sprinkle of salt- it really made all the flavors pop. Delicious.