Recipe by yooper
You can serve this elegant, French bistro dish in under an hour! From Redbook magazine.
- 4 slices bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin (3 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed (10 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped plus whole sprigs for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Add chicken to the same skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add wine, broth, and 1 tablespoon of chopped thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping up the browned bits on the bottom.
- Add chicken and any juices, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Stir in remaining chopped thyme and salt, increase heat to medium, and cook until sauce is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in bacon, spoon sauce over chicken, and garnish with thyme sprigs.