Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This recipe takes some time to make. The ice cream custard should be made the day before serving and the ice cream should be made early in the day so that it has time to freeze. This recipe does require the use of an ice cream maker. The recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 2 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup instant malted milk powder
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
Bourbon Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
Dried Cherry Topping
- 1 1⁄2 cups merlot
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup dried tart cherry
- sweetened whipped cream
- For Ice Cream: Whisk first 3 ingredients in medium saucepan to blend. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to simmer.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture; return to saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture coats back of spoon, about 3 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove vanilla bean and stir in brandy; chill until cold.
- Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer ice cream to container; cover and freeze until firm.
- For Bourbon Hot Fudge Sauce: Whisk cocoa powder and sugar in heavy large saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in water and espresso powder. Whisk over medium heat until mixture comes to boil. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate; whisk until smooth. Whisk in bourbon. This can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Rewarm over low heat until just pourable.
- For Dried Cherry Topping: Stir wine and sugar in medium saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Add cherries; simmer until liquid is almost evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- To make sundaes: Divide half of hot fudge sauce among 8 cups. Top with a few cherries, then scoop of ice cream. Repeat layering with ice cream, sauce, and cherries. Top each with whipped cream and serve.