Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is based on my Our Special Vegetarian Lasagne but this one includes anchovies so unless you eat fish it's not vegetarian. Use a disposable foil tray if you don't have a large enough baking dish. This is my first recipe trying anchovies and I've got to say that I really enjoyed what they bring to the dish. Come on be brave, "they're just hairy, not scary"! Please note that prep time is time to make the lentil sauce.
- 250 g whole wheat lasagna noodles, sheets (dry)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 anchovies, chopped (more if you are brave)
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed (or to taste)
- 6 -8 button mushrooms, chopped finely
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups passata or 4 cups pasta sauce
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 800 g brown lentils (2 cans)
- 1⁄4 cup cheese, shredded (optional)
- water, if needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in pan and saute onion, anchovies and garlic 2mins or until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add mushrooms, carrot and celery, saute 2-3mins.
- Pour in passata and bring to a gentle simmer, then add zucchini and eggplant.
- Simmer 15mins or until all vegies are tender.
- Drain and rinse lentils then add to the sauce, stir and allow a few minutes for the lentils to heat through.
- If sauce is too thick thin with a little water. Season to taste with salt and pepper as desired.
- Start with a spoon of sauce, then layer lasagne noodles and sauce together, finishing with a layer of sauce.
- If using cheese, you can use a little between each layer or just on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40mins or until noodles are soft. If using cheese on top uncover for the last 5 mins so that cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Stand five minutes then slice and serve with a nice green salad and garlic bread.