1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Pronounced shpahr-ga le-vesh. This is delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 potato, boiled, peeled, & grated
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup water (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 cups beef stock (I usually use veal stock) or 4 cups veal stock (I usually use veal stock) or 4 cups vegetable stock (I usually use veal stock)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon brandy or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 lb asparagus, cleaned & cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or 1/2 cup milk
- 1In a large pot, boil the potato in water until tender; then grate.
- 2Mix flour, potato, and salt together thoroughly.
- 3Make a well and drop in the egg, then beat with a wooden spoon.
- 4Add as much cold water as needed to hold the dough together (about 1/8 of a cup).
- 5Mix vigorously until the dough starts to blister and come away from the sides of the bowl.
- 6Let rest for at least 45 minutes, then turn out on a wet cutting board and using a knife to cut off pieces about 1/2-inch long and approximately the width of a pencil.
- 7Drop the pieces into a large pot of boiling water (the same pot you used to boil the potato).
- 8A few seconds after they float to the surface remove them with a slotted spoon and let them drain.
- 9Make roux by heating butter in a saucepan and stirring in the flour, pepper, nutmeg and parsley; continue stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes then dilute with stock, blending thoroughly to be sure that there are no lumps.
- 10Add salt, sugar, and brandy or extract and bring to a boil.
- 11Add the asparagus and simmer, uncovered, just until the asparagus is tender (5-10 minutes).
- 12Mix in cream.
- 13Taste for seasonings and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 14Drop dumplings into the soup just before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sparga Leves Z Galuska (Hungarian Asparagus Soup W/ Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.4
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 2448.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 12.7 g