Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My next door neighbour gave me this recipe and I will be making it tonight. She swears it's the best and her family loves it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg chicken
- 225 g sliced ham
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Rub oil all over the chicken. Place into a casserole dish. Place uncovered into a preheated (180 degrees c) oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Add the ham, onion, celery, carrots, stock and tarragon. Cover and continue to bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, strain the broth (keep broth) and carve chicken.
- Return the chicken to the casserole dish and reserve warm with the vegetables.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan; stir in the flour and pour in 2 cups of the strained broth. Simmer until sauce thickens; pour over chicken and vegetables. Serve in the casserole dish.