Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yummy with any Mexican themed meal.
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups long grain rice, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 serrano chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium low heat. Sauté the rice, stirring constantly, until golden and crackling, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and serranos and cook until the onions just soften. Then add the garlic and sauté until the aroma is released. Pour in the stock, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapeño, and salt, mixing well to combine.
- Transfer to a baking dish or casserole. Cover with foil and bake until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Stir and serve hot.