- kosher salt (for boiling pasta)
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot with casings removed)
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms (mixed)
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- shredded parmesan cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the spaghetti and cook as package directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and rosemary and cook, stirring 1 minute. Return the sausage to the skillet, then add the cream and 1 cup water; bring to a gentle simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spaghetti to the skillet and toss with the sauce, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed. Top with shredded parmesan, if desired.