Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, easy to prepare, and very yummy. Taken from Joie Warner's book, spaghetti, everyone's favorite pasta
- 2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut length-wise into 1/4 " thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 3⁄4 lb spaghetti
- Pre-heat oven to 450F; adjust oven rack to highest shelf.
- Gently combine tomatoes with garlic, oil, basil, sugar, Tabasco, salt, pepper and cheese in large bowl.
- Arrange tomato mixture in single layer on large, low-sided (or tomatoes will steam) non-stick or non-reactive baking sheet.
- (I find it easier to cover baking sheet with foil- makes for easier clean-up).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and edges have charred.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain well and immediately toss with tomato mixture in large serving bowl.
- Serve with extra cheese and pass the peppermill.