- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb thickly sliced pancetta, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 small red onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons garlic, very finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup basil, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add pancetta and cook over medium heat until softened but not browned, (about 3 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat until shimmering.
- Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat until just beginning to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add the pancetta and sun-dried tomatoes and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the spaghetti to the skillet along with 1/4 cup of the cooking water and toss over medium heat until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve, passing the Parmesan at the table.