Recipe by lawmama
This is my spaghetti recipe. It gets some heat and some depth from the chili powder and red pepper flakes.
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 28 ounces whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions and drain it.
- Next, brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or skillet. Drain meat on paper towels, discarding fat in a tin can, and wiping out the skillet with paper towels. (Note: if you are using extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey, you may begin by sauteing the onions and garlic, then adding the meat directly.)
- Return the meat to the skillet and add the oil. Put the heat on medium.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine (or red wine vinegar).
- Simmer it for about 10 minutes, until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, make a salad, if you are serving one.
- Add the salt and pepper to the sauce.
- Combine the spaghetti and sauce in the original pot in which you cooked the spaghetti and cover until ready to serve.
- Top with the Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese and serve.